Parents of a toddler who died in Toronto last year are in police custody and charged with first-degree murder in the child’s accidental overdose death, authorities said Monday.
Authorities wouldn’t release the couple’s names or relationship to the child, only saying they were in their 20s and from Toronto.
The child died last October and police believe the drugs he ingested were street narcotics, Toronto Police Det. Sgt. Mike Carbone said at a news conference. Carbone said the parents immediately called emergency personnel to their home after their 22-month-old boy had difficulty breathing.
He said the parents were with the child at the time of his death and initially attempted to resuscitate him.
The child was taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead after two hours.
A Health Ontario report into the death said that the child ingested a combination of drugs, including seven tablets of ecstasy and four tablets of a liquid he was given with a brown cough suppressant.
In a statement, Health Ontario said it was investigating the child’s death.
“We wish to remind Ontarians that the prevention of drug use in children is often done through education, awareness and the surveillance of drug use in households,” said the statement from Anne Marie Thomas, Manager of Health Information.